August 20, 2011

Brand New Pair of Roller Skates

My sister-in-law got a pair of 1961 Sears and Roebuck roller skates, with a key, for her birthday. 

image

Hers were in better shape.  They had the original leather straps that went around your ankle.  For any youngsters that are reading this, you used the key to loosen and tighten the bolts underneath, so that you could adjust the size to fit your shoes. We put the key on a piece of yarn and wore it around our neck. 

I don’t want a pair of vintage skates for my birthday, but I saw her skates displayed on a trunk in the living room, and was immediately transported to summer days in the sixties on Cherry Drive.  I was a pretty good skater.  It wasn’t an easy feat.  There weren’t sidewalks, just rough blacktop, and the four metal wheels were a far cry from the rubber wheels on the roller blades that would be the rage 25 years later.  I’m sure I scraped knees, but seeing the old skates this week, made me smile – all happy memories of neighborhood friends and summer days on the best street ever.

No comments: