August 01, 2011

Big Sky, Montana

When we left Rexburg, Terry and I decided to take a couple more days to just relax.  I had been skiing at Big Sky back in the mid-seventies and early eighties.  Chet Huntley, the newscaster, had built a lodge there and developed a little resort with a tram and I think two other lifts.  You follow the Gallatin River through a corner of Yellowstone and the beautiful Gallatin National Forest.  It’s an wide valley with mountains climbing over 11,000 feet.  The ski lifts go pretty close to the top.  Now there are 16 lifts that cover several mountains.  You couldn’t ride all the lifts in a single day!  Condos and cabins are all over the place, but the developments are spread out and each has their own nook.  There’s a golf course, rafting and kayaking, horseback trips, hiking and fishing.  It’s a huge resort with a very friendly, small town feel.  I like it so much more than Park City, Tamarak, or Sun Valley.  I didn’t want to leave.
015019
Here’s the original Huntley Lodge and a ski run where they do zip-lining in the summer.  We found the oxygen bar in the corner of a mini-mart in a mall right by the lodge.
021020
This rainbow was stunning.  It was actually a double rainbow that stretched from one side of the canyon to another.  I know there’s more treasure in Big Sky than could be found at the end of the rainbow.  I’ve spent quite a bit of time since our return just day dreaming about retiring up there.  I might open a little yarn shop.  I’d sell hats, scarves, slippers, and maybe have a counter with fudge right up by the front window.
031

1 comment:

Pamela Hunter-Braden said...

The rainbow is spectacular but I don't know what an oxygen bar is. Am I way out of touch with things that are new or hip? The yarn shop sounds very nice. I know what those are!