July 01, 2012

I'll Take That Call!


 

Those that know me, know that I don't like to talk on the phone, answer the phone, or carry my phone.  Every once in while though, I get a great phone call - like yesterday.  Jessica called!  She was just touching base and catching up.  We talked and laughed for over an hour.

I met Jessica when she was in my fourth grade class at Jefferson.  She stayed in touch with me, calling me at home, when she moved on to Jr. high.  I ended up calling her to babysit for me, which led to us taking her in a couple years later.  Her family's situation was pretty scary, and low.  I was taking her home from babysitting one night and couldn't let this beautiful girl go into an empty house, with the power off, in a bad neighborhood, and a creepy guy living next door.  At the time, her mom was living with a different creep.  We called and asked if Jessica could stay the night at our house.  By the next week, she was living in our bonus room.  She only stayed five months.  We would have taken her forever, but it wasn't meant to be.  She had another path outlined.

We've stayed in touch always.  She lived on her own in an apartment her senior year of high school.  She never had a driver's license, so she took the city bus everywhere.  She's always worked hard (a couple jobs at a time), and has always been a creative, artistic, free spirit.  Most of all, she's enthusiastic and positive about everything.  She was the first person in her family to graduate from high school, and soon after, moved to Seattle to make it on her own.


She just turned 24, is a make-up artist, has been to Europe, has a nice boyfriend, and has made it on her own.  She's planning on going to college this fall - business administration.  I forgot to ask her if she has a driver's license yet.  We were too busy talking about the French Riviera, German men, Italian food, and Monte Carlo.

Get to know her:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmCHPBfBUM



No comments: