July 28, 2012

Education Week

They call it a week, but it's really only three days.  Terry and I have gone three times, and I went once with my sister.  It's the best-kept secret.  Unlike Education Week at BYU, it's not crowded and hectic, where you have to skip some classes so that you can get a seat in others.  The presenters are just as good, the campus is beautiful, and it takes place during the summer so I don't have to take personal days to get off work.

We went to classes on Abraham Lincoln, health and diet, physical balance, spiritual balance, mental health, repentance and forgiveness.  Our favorite was a 3 session class on the sacrament by David
Christensen.  He describes himself as bombastic, which is accurate.  He's also very funny.  He's probably the only 75 year old that teaches the youth.  They don't always know what he's talking about, but they love him and pack his classes.  David is my mom's cousin.  He's coming to Boise in September and I'll be taking my parents to a special EFY so they can be entertained, and visit.  As crazy as he is, his lessons on the sacrament changed how I'll approach sacrament meeting every week.  It was powerful. 

We spent all week trying to figure out how we could get our kids to Education Week next year.  On the last day we heard rumors that this is the last year it will be held in Rexburg.  The people who organize it have jobs in new departments and their old jobs aren't being filled.  We're putting in an appeal to President Clark.  This would be sad for us, and bad for the hotel business in Rexburg.  I hope they reconsider.  


2 comments:

Melissa said...

I would love to do this.
What is the cost?

Judy said...

Cheap -$49 each for 3 days
Food is cheap too. Hotel is the only expense.