June 25, 2012

Outing #1

     There's not much we can get in the way of gifts for my dad any more.  Sometimes we see something that just fits, but  he's hard to get for.  This Father's Day Nan and I decided to give him three day trips.  Our first was a trip to Baker, Oregon.  Tad asked, "What are you going there for?"  He just doesn't get it.  Baker was a stellar destination.  Dad loves places like that.  We're going to Sweet next.   
     Terry checked out my car to make sure everything was ready and went to bank for me so that I'd have enough to pay for lunch and get us into the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center.  I packed a cooler with snacks and drinks.  Nan also went to the bank and packed snacks.  When I picked up Dad, he insisted on taking his car.  He already had a cooler packed.  Besides that, he paid for lunch, paid for gas, and bought Nan and I gifts from a kitchen store we wandered through.*  (There was no charge at the museum.)
 
This is a picture of a picture of horses transporting Model Ts. 
     We took a driving tour of Baker.  We all gave it high marks.  Nan could live there.  Then we took a little walking tour.  One picture below is Dad purchasing kitchen items for Nan and me at a darling shop called Bella's.  The giant gold nugget is on display at the US Bank downtown.  We found the best lunch spot, Corner Brick Cafe.  We all raved about our meals, but my turkey sandwich was the best.  I'll never have a turkey sandwich without cream cheese again, and my salad had huckleberry dressing - yum!
     We took in everything at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center including an hour-long film.  It was good.  Then for the return trip, we decided not to use the freeway (no surprise).  Dad always has a shortcut, or at least an alternate route.  He led us down highway 26 to the town of Sumpter.  We followed the Powder River through the forest and passed a couple reservoirs.  It took us a little longer, but it was worth it.
The Blue. Mountains and the blue car
*He bought himself a truck on our way over.  Forget Craigslist.  He just had Nan make a couple calls.  I'm not sure Mom knows yet, so it's hush-hush until I see it in his garage.
   

No comments: