June 06, 2012

Naked Yard

Our neighbor's houses with big trees
Our naked yard


We had to take our great big tree out of the front yard.  Then we had to take a lot of grass out of our front yard so that we could grind up all the roots.  Now we have people stopping in the street to ask us what we're doing.  I have a vision for our naked yard, but I need Terry to get on board.  He keeps saying he needs a picture or a plan.  I just have to jump in.  So I started, and dragged Terry, his muscle, and his wallet into this project with me.

So far I've cleared a LOT of weeds from the sides of the house.  I made a path that leads to a back window box of herbs.  I tried a couple things from Pinterest - vinegar to kill weeds, and wet newspapers instead of black lining buried under the path.  It's covered with mulch from our tree that's now gone, and lined with rocks that I dug up.  We've made a couple trips to Lowes for rock and stepping stones.  I've planted as much as I can in phase one.  Terry's now taken measurements and is ready to get lumber for the fence and garden box.  I'm hoping we can accomplish phase two next week.  When the weather warms up, I want to be out on the patio with Nedee.  I'll read and crochet.  Nedee will watch from the shed roof.
Side yard path with new hosta plant

No comments: