March 26, 2011

Shout for Joy

As the primary secretary, I've been going down the hall to check on nursery, and then slipping into the RS lesson and spending 30-40 minutes.  It's just been years since I've been able to go, and I really miss the women and the spiritual boost.

Last Sunday the lesson was on the word of wisdom, and one of the quotes stated that in the preexistence when we found out that we would receive a body, we shouted for joy.  You looked around the room at a good number of middle aged women and wondered how many of them would shout for joy now when looking in the mirror at their body.  Since about the age of 12 most of us have struggled in some way with body image.  I can't say I love the roll around my middle or the fact that what few eyelashes I have are stubby and blond.  There's about 15 pounds of me that I don't like at all, but I am happy and grateful for the body I have.

I've been especially thankful for the good health I've always enjoyed.  I like my brunette hair and have never desired to be a blond (maybe a little auburn).  I have good eyesight, and even now that I use glasses for distance and reading, I can get away without them.  I'm glad I didn't blast music into my ears through headphones.  Hearing aides just aren't the same.  Physically I've been able to walk, climb, lift, carry, and work.  I have good balance.  I've never been too athletic, but I'm not competitive either so sports weren't a priority.  I'm most grateful that I was able to be pregnant and give birth.  That whole miracle was thrilling and enjoyable every minute.

So a shout for joy every morning might be in order.  What I'll be working on will be making good food choices, and staying limber and active.  I need to take calcium, vitamins, and get check-ups.  Most important I need to learn how to let my spirit have control over my physical body.  I'll work on those things.

So when I think about it, I could shout for joy.

No comments: