March 02, 2011

DWA Day

This is the day that all sixth graders take the Direct Writing Assessment.  I teach writing to the whole sixth grade so I was anxious about their skills and readiness.  The prompt this year was an easy one for all of them to relate to; write about a place in or near Boise that you like to visit.  All but one of the 96 got busy and did their best.  In the afternoon I taught two writing classes and we just celebrated their work.  Anyone who wanted to could share what they wrote.  The first girl who volunteered is an average student with a cute personality.  I was almost brought to tears!  It was soooo good and I was so proud.  I know we have a lot of strong, solid writers.  I can't wait until the 14th and 15th.  I'm one of the volunteers that will be correcting all of them.  I think we'll have to celebrate again when all the results come in.

No comments: