March 17, 2011

Irish Eyes are Shining

My principal is Irish with fair skin and great green eyes.  Her grandparents live in Dublin and called her on Skype during school.  Today she treated the staff to Irish soda bread with clotted cream and jam, Irish cream for the coffee drinkers, and Irish oatmeal (steel-cut oats) with all the fixings-walnuts, raisins, and brown sugar.  Then in the afternoon frosted shamrock sugar cookies and tea appeared.  All during the day she was drawing names from a hat and handing out prizes.  I won a $10 Subway sandwich card.  Kids would get to choose a gold wrapped chocolate from her leprechaun pot when their names were drawn.  I took pictures of all the kids in green.  One of my girls has a green cast on her arm and green nail polish.  We also had drawings in my class for anything green I could find in the prize box.  After school many of us met our principal at the local pub for a little Irish cheer.  Mine was a cheery diet Pepsi.

No comments: