March 09, 2011

Political Activism

I go to sleep every night with the Luna bills on my mind, and it's the first thing I think about each morning.  I'm so thankful to Terry who has e-mailed, stapled my signs, and come along to events.  I'm ready to stop thinking about it for a few days.  The 3rd bill hasn't come out of the Senate Ed. Committee yet, and we can't collect recall signatures until April 16th.

Tuesday morning I met a good part of the teachers from my school at 7:00 AM to picket on the corner of Gowen and Federal Way.  We had a lot of action with Micron employees heading to work and people stopping at Tully's and Albertsons for coffee.  It was 27 degrees outside and the wind was blowing.  We stuck it out for over an hour until we had to leave for work.  We were freezing, but it was a lot of fun.  I work with some funny people.  One suggested that we start every day like that.  Invigorating!

My BEA partner and our music teacher.
I've been to two sign making parties.  I love the LunA$$y sign.  Mine said "Idaho State House converted to Luny Bin".

Tuesday night Terry and I went to our legislators Town Hall Meeting.  If someone had lit a match, the place would have exploded.  Earlier that day the house had passed the labor bill.  It was an intense and interesting 90 minutes.  Two of our three legislators had reason to squirm.  There were several people sitting right in front of them holding "We will remember" signs.

Today (Wednesday afternoon) we went to the rally at the State House.  We were able to surround the block two or three deep.  There was chanting, loud music, speakers, and horn honking.  It felt good.  I know there will be some recalls and these laws will be repealed.  There will also be some educators running for office.  It's going to be a long process, but I'm on the winning side.

No comments: