February 08, 2011

Possible Bags

I read Adaline Falling Star to my class, a book about Kit Carson's daughter by an Arapaho wife.  Adaline has a possibles bag which holds her most prized possessions:  a carved dragonfly (from her mother which signifies being able to dart out of danger), a science book called The Heavenly Bodies (which tells about her name and who she is), and a tinderbox (a reminder from her father to keep her fires low and remove all your tracks when you move on).  As an extension, I went to JoAnns for fake suede, took my sewing machine to work, and broke out the beads to make our own possible bags.  It's not easy trying to get 32 kids to thread a needle and tie a knot, but we did it.  Today most of them have finished their bags, which look like something out of the sixties.  They are all thrilled.  It's funny to see all the 6th grade boys with their "man bags" on their way to music or lunch.  Tomorrow I'll take pictures.

(I've also been to dentist and now I'm headed to a town hall meeting.  No rest for the wicked - or is it the weary?)

No comments: