February 07, 2011

Not a Good Time to be a Teacher

It was cold and windy, but the hour I spent at a rally on the State House steps felt good today.  The battle between teachers, the legislature, and Tom Luna has been a beat down and it has just begun.  I feel deflated, demeaned, and disrespected.  I hate that the bashing and union busting is coming from our State Superintendent.  It felt good to listen to speakers that had good things to say about teachers, and wise things to say about education.  We heard from Ty's favorite teacher, Doug StanWiens (government teacher), a professor from BSU that cited solid research on learning, a parent, a democratic legislator from district 19, two Timberline students, and a PTO vice president.  Thanks to all of them.  Well done!  There are two hearings and a town hall meeting to attend this week.  I don't know how many of them I'll be able to make it to, but we're in a bad spot, so I'll e-mail my legislators and do what I can. 

1 comment:

Jana said...

I'm so glad that people are voicing opposition to Luna's insanity. Hopefully it makes an impact!