February 14, 2011

Grade School Valentines

There is nothing better than Valentine sacks or boxes stuffed with cards and candy.  Something about this day makes kids sweet.  They're thoughtful, they're giving, they want to express just the right message, and the picture has to fit the friend.  They remember the custodian, last year's teacher, the lunch ladies, and there's always one kid that gets something extra special for a 'crush' which causes a ripple of excitement and giggles. 

There is nothing better than a good, soft, frosted sugar cookie, and I love conversation hearts (soft are best, but old hard ones are good too).  I also love the cinnamon gumdrop hearts.  In my more grown-up moments I like good chocolates from Lee's or See's - dark chocolate orange or coconut cream.  Mmmmmm!  Today I was dieting and didn't indulge in any of it, but it will all be the same next year.  I'll probably have another decade or so of grade school Valentine's Days and I'm glad.  There's nothing better. 

No comments: