February 26, 2015

Vaccines

At our staff meeting they unveiled the district's policy concerning measles.  A case hasn't been reported in the state of Idaho, but it's all around us and we rank 48th in vaccinated students.  If we can't prove we've had the measles or the vaccine, and a student at our school comes down with the measles, we have to be out for 21 days and the days are charged to our sick leave.  If another case of measles comes up, we're out for another 21 days. Students that aren't vaccinated also must stay home for the 21 days.  Most of us don't have proof.  Our vaccines were out of state, long ago, so we're all making plans to get the MMR booster.  They also want us to have Hepatitis A and B, and I need a Tetanus.  Actually, employees over 56 don't have to worry about the measles policy, because measles were so rampant when we were young, they figure we've had them or built up immunity.  I'm going to get the vaccine anyway, because I've never had the mumps.  I figure I don't want any of those diseases so I'll start getting everything caught up.

That evening, Ty called to say he needed the meningitis vaccine because of cases on the U of O campus, and one death.  By the time I figured out that he was already vaccinated, he had gotten another one.   At least the two of us will feel disease protected.    

No comments: