February 10, 2015

Literary Luncheon - 2015

Last Friday I took the day off work and went to the Literacy Luncheon.  It's a function that raises money for the Boise Learning Lab, and a couple of my friends are volunteer tutors there.  One of my friends speaks up and likes to be involved, so she is actually serving as president of the board this year.  She's the one who always invites me to be at her table.  The past four years we've been in charge of the table decorations, but this year we didn't have a job.  We just sat front and center and enjoyed every minute.

This is one of my favorite days of the year.  Here's why:
  • I'm surrounded by friends and strangers that love books.
  • There's always a student from the Learning Lab that shares their story and it's always inspirational.
  • There's a silent auction with signed books and theme baskets that are donated by individuals and book clubs.  This year our yoga basket from the Rebel book club sold for $180.  
  • I love to make a list of books that I might want to read.
  • I love checking out the names of other book clubs.  (I like the name "Novel Women".)
  • I always think that I might win a Kindle or i-pad air from the raffle.  Not this year.
  • The guest author that speaks is always entertaining.  I love listening to authors speak.  They just have a way with words.
Lunch was good (with lemon cake).  I bought a centerpiece and three books from the author that spoke.  She signed all of them for me.  It was fun to see others from our table get their final bids for the book baskets that they wanted.  Two of them bought big baskets of books and toys for new grandbabies.  

Next year I want my RS book club to donate a basket.  I might even donate one of my own.  I'm sure I could get my dad to start looking for some books from the thrift store.  I'd like to do some old and new Nancy Drew books with a magnifying glass, or a Montana basket with some Ivan Doig books - maybe just a Whistling Season basket with a kazoo and a book about Halleys comet.  I have a year to figure out something good.   

No comments: