February 21, 2015

Prep-Stress

The Oscars are this weekend and I have a big party to go to.  It's one of my favorite days of the year - definitely the best party - but it's also stressful.  Besides our fill-out ballots and our choice of an Oscar boyfriend, we have to bring a food that represents a movie.  I've won twice in the past, but this year is hard because you have to narrow down your favorite movie, and then come up with a food.  I was between Casa Blanca and The Sound of Music, but found a piano for Sam, in Rick's Cafe, easier to deal with than a guitar or a mountain range.  I think it will be great.

Who knew they made white chocolate Kit-Kats?
Adding to the stress, this is the 20th anniversary of the party, and we decided at the last party that we needed to make this year special for our host.  One person ordered a replica of the Oscar online and has it inscribed with her name for Best Oscar Party Hostess.  The rest of us are bringing (nice) things to put in her own swag bag.  Every year we leave with bags of movie candy, necklaces, funny purses, DVDs, books, wine, movie tickets, and more.  This year we're going to fill a bag for her.  The problem is that we didn't get on it until Thursday, and since I sent the e-mail, I'm now in charge.

Today I went shopping with Mary at Cost Plus.  We found a great travel journal and special trip tags.  (Lydia is a world traveler.)  We put together movie concessions for the stars: French lemonade, Lees fine chocolates, and some very gourmet, non-GMO, vegan, popcorn. Then we found a big Virgo coffee mug with all the stars on it and special coffees. The party theme is all southern, so we put in special magnolia hand cream, a Southern Comfort peach cobbler candle, and a gift card for a mani/pedi.  Others are bringing good wine and a wine journal, and real bling.  There will be more surprises too.  Thank heavens everything is coming together.  I've devoted my whole weekend to my ballot, my cake, and the swag bag.    

No comments: