April 09, 2011

Tri-Track Meet

It's track season at school.  Last Thursday was our first meet with Adams and Grace Jordan.  We always host meets at Trail Wind because we have a nice big field.  The down side is that we're not close to any other schools, and it's always 10 degrees colder and windy in Columbia Village.  Usually the volunteers wear parkas and gloves at the first meet.  Rain is always possible.  Snow was in the forecast.  In the end we had pretty nice weather.  I saw a couple heavier jackets and two people in gloves, but I was fine in a hoodie, and you didn't feel too sorry for the kids in shorts.

I'm a fan of elementary track meets.  They're a little loose.  You don't measure the distances too exact, nobody knows anything about form, and there are always some athletes competing in jeans.  Everyone gets a ribbon and the kids are just happy - running wild.  Anything can happen at these meets.  Ty was always short, but he went to City both years in the standing long jump.  You'd think a person would need longer legs.

Not everyone noticed, but Coach Pete was in attendance.  He has a son in 5th or 6th grade at Adams.  I think it's pretty cool that he left spring football camp to watch his son's track meet.  I helped with the soccer throw, one of the field events.  The Peterson kid came in 3rd place.  Kyle (Mo), who took first place, threw the ball 20 feet farther than anyone else.  He's such a nice guy.  He just said, "I had the wind with me."  He did, but so did everyone else.  I don't think he realized that.

No comments: