April 19, 2011

For the Birds

My favorite thing about the coming of spring, is the return of the birds.  A couple weeks ago I started hearing birds in the morning.  It's a great way to wake up.  I love laying in bed with the window cracked opened, just listening to the birds waking up the whole earth.

Someday I'll be a birdwatcher.  It will be my hobby and I'll know a lot about it.  Once I took the cub scouts out to watch birds, and we had a birdwatcher come with us and share her expertise.  The only thing I learned was that they have a label, LBB, which stands for unidentifiable little brown birds.  There are a lot of sparrow type birds that are referred to as LBBs. 

There were two LBBs looking for a nesting spot on my front porch.  They were very sweet looking.  The next day I brought home my hanging baskets from school, because I think they make great homes for LBBs,  where their eggs are safe and protected.  Hopefully a pair will decide to build in one.

Driving home over the Park Center Bridge on Saturday evening, we saw a great blue heron flying overhead, with a nice sized fish flapping in its bill.  He was probably returning to his nest to share dinner with his wife.  It was quite a sight. 

No comments: