April 09, 2011

Leaning Toward Veganish

I watched Oprah this week where she challenged everyone at Harpo to go vegan for 1 week.  The vegan expert said her husband ate vegan at home, but chose fish and eggs when he went out to eat.  She encouraged people to lean in to veganism; one day a week without meat, buy some substitute products, try some recipes.

That's about where I am.  We only eat meat a couple times a week.  Terry drinks rice milk.  I just bought a vegan butter substitute.  I also bought tofu, and I'm trying recipes from the sneaky chef that include vegetable puree in almost anything.

I know I need to eat different to be healthier, feel better, age better, and maintain a better weight.  I find it helps (but it's hard) to eat 4 cups of vegetables and 2 medium fruits everyday.  If I do, I make better choices all day.  When I was dieting, I had to add a couple servings of protein every day - usually meat.  I've found if I eliminate the meat, then I need carbs.  That's not good.  Since I'm not fond of cooked vegetables, or soups, I end up with no warm food.

I'm going to keep leaning toward being veganish by trying more recipes, eating meat sparingly, and trying more substitutes.  I think I need to check labels better and buy more local and organic things.  It will be a big life shift, but I'll lean in slowly.

That being said, I just bought a new Taste of Home Potluck Favorites cookbook.  I think 95% of the potluck favorites have either cheese or sugar in them.  They all look great!

1 comment:

Pamela Hunter-Braden said...

Sugar is vegan, right? And chocolate? And Jordan Almonds? I drink rice milk, but I like cow milk better. I don't love meat, but boy, do I love my dairy. Oh well, every little step forward counts I guess.