March 19, 2013

Lobbying

I've pulled back from politics this school year.  After the referendum and working so hard to get pro-education people in the legislature from our district, I was more than burned out.  But, they put out a call for 100 teachers to take a personal day and lobby, and since I'm the BEA (Boise Education Association) rep for our school, I volunteered. 

I actually really enjoyed the process.  The Capital is a beautiful building.  I went first to watch the House Education Committee hearing.  It was inspirational to hear teachers speak before the committee.  In the end, a tie vote defeated a measure that we didn't want to pass.  I was able to speak with our District 18 representative which was really informative.  Later I watched the House in session from the galley.

I was glad that I left before the Senate Education Committee hearing.  I heard that was ugly.  I had a chance to share my good experience with two people before I read an e-mail from my representative that said there was going to be a re-vote, and two members had decided to change their votes - the wrong way.  Discouraging.  This is not a good time to be in the education field.  I've decided to pull back again and focus my energy raising money for the IEA Children's Fund, and gathering donations for a baby shower that they're giving to the Booth Memorial School (for pregnant high school girls).


 

No comments: