March 13, 2013

DWA

For the past several years I've volunteered to help grade the sixth grade Direct Writing Assessments.  There are usually about 20 of us and it takes two days.  I enjoy rubbing elbows with other teachers from around the district, and it helps to be a better writing teacher.  When you read a couple hundred essays, you see what works. 

This year they were to write about their favorite place and how it changes from winter to summer.  Kids wrote about places from Hawaii, to Chicago, to Lisbon.  There were several in each batch about camping spots, Bogus Basin, and the greenbelt.  I found out a lot of families from Anser school that have places in McCall.  There were also a lot about their own backyards, school, and my favorite, Grandma's house.  Two essays had me completely sucked in.  I want to spend some time at Flat Campground by Rupert, and in the little town of Superior, Montana.

Another big plus was time to go out to lunch, and a crazy shopping trip at Goodwill with Vonnie.  She is a master.  When I wear my great deals, I should take pictures and post the price. 

No comments: