June 09, 2011

Family History - I'm Doing It!

I've had so many things this year that have directed me to family history work - a DVD, a book club selection, a couple talks, family discussions, discussions with friends, and more.  I started this blog as a way begin keeping some kind of record.  This Memorial Day trip has been inspiring, motivating and solidified my desire.  I'm going to need to spend time this summer figuring things out.  I know several people and places that I can go to for help.  I also want to spend some time (a week or so) with my sister and all her files.

Throughout this weekend we've listened to my dad tell stories.  Starting when he was three learning to swim in the canal, and including the years building the cabin, times in the Air Force, working at the Defense Depot and canoe trips in Yellowstone.  He pointed out little lakes, mines, old buildings, railroad right of ways, and happy trails he had been on and in all over Utah.  My dad puts Huck Finn to shame.  If only someone in the family could write like Mark Twain.  How are we going to record all of these memories!

No comments: