June 08, 2011

Action Packed Days

The last two weeks of school are nine action packed days where students are excited, teachers are stressed, and there's no way around it, you just have to go through it.  Some probably thought I wasn't blogging because nothing was going on, life was dull, nothing to blog about.  In reality, it felt like I'd been picked-up by some unseen force and was being hurled toward the last day of school.  I had no time for blogging.  I was busy putting out one fire after another, meeting the next deadline, and trying not to crash and burn.  Here are the highlights in brief:

  • Two awards assemblies- one for the end of the year, and the other for the 6th grade Presidential Awards.  I needed to have awards made and ready, put photos on the L-drive for the end of the year slide show, and review the two sixth grade dance numbers.
  • Field Day and the tug-of-war competition -  This is the fourth year in a row that my class has taken the championship in tug-of-war.  Throughout the year we never win the spirit awards, academic best, marvelous manners in the lunch room, best participants in music, PE, or library, but I always have a good crew for tug-of-war.
  • Hawaiian Days - Learn your Hawaiian name and how to pronounce it, make leis, enjoy Hawaiian punch otter pops, and practice the Hawaiian roller coaster dance.
  • Yearbook signing - We got rained out of the outdoor classroom, so the sixth graders spent an hour in the gym signing their books and tie-dye shirts.
  • Math meeting - I had to take half a day off to meet about the 7th grade math that I've been teaching this year.  It's a little late, but now I know what to do next year.  
  • Stacey, Mike and the grandkids arrived from Georgia.  Ready or not - and we were not.  We just didn't worry about it.  There will be plenty of time this summer to get settled.
  • Tate graduated.  I went to Eagle High's graduation on June 1st.  I wrote down a quote from the ceremony that I can't find at the moment, but it was fun.  Tate is moving on to BYU with a scholarship.
  • We had a farewell party for staff that is leaving.  I will miss my good friend Sarah who is moving to North Carolina with her darling husband and a baby on the way, and Connie the counselor who is off to Alice Springs, Australia for adventures down under.
I had to take one more day off to travel for Memorial Day.  That means I had to get plans ready for a sub and get all the above done in eight days.

No comments: