October 17, 2011

Too Many Pears

The cannery announced that they were selling pears and apples - cheap!  They had too many.  I sent Terry out and he came home with 71 pounds of pears.  He wasn't able to get close to the apples.  Apparently the Mormon moms weren't acting in a humble Christian way.  They were grabby, forceful, and scary.  I was glad I wasn't there, and I was happy with just pears. 

We gave away sacks and sacks of pears to friends and relatives.  They were ripe, and so sweet!  I ate about 6 a day.  I couldn't get through all 71 pounds though - too many.  Something had to be done.  Terry loves applesauce and got on line to find recipes for pear sauce.  I ended up canning 8 pints.  I'd never heard of pear sauce, but it's a yummy, healthy treat.  I wish I had taken a picture of the bottles all filled up.  They were very pretty.

No comments: