October 07, 2011

Inservice Days Minus One

The first Thursday and Friday in October have always been inservice days for teachers.  Growing up we always had those two days off school.  I've taught in Utah, California, and Idaho, and every state has inservices on the same Thursday and Friday.  I've been to some excellent trainings on those days, and there have been years when I can't wait to have two days in my classroom to get caught up.  

This year our principal organized a workshop just for our school.  She did most of the Thursday presentation herself, and then brought in help for the afternoon session on engaging strategies to use in lessons.  Friday was a furlough day for Boise teachers, and many other districts around the state.  There were some professional organizations that offered workshops on Friday, but I bet they weren't very well attended.  I just made the most of Thursday, and then slept in on Friday.

I did spend time that afternoon setting up Shutterfly websites with my teacher friend Pam.  We're going to ramp up the old pen pal idea and have our students work on group blogs.  We're hoping to teach writing, computer skills, and social skills.  Pam teaches in a small town a little more than 2 hours away.  The plan is for both of us to take a field trip at the end of May and meet halfway.  It's a ton of work getting everything ready, but it's going to be a great project.  The kids are excited.

No comments: