October 29, 2011

Report Cards

Elementary teachers dread report card time.  More specifically, report card comments.  Our electronic gradebook is set-up with secondary teachers in mind.  It's not at all efficient for the elementary teacher.  Comments are to be individualized and data driven.  It often feels like a big creative writing assignment.  The first quarter grades require the most thought and effort.  The students have an early release on the last day of the quarter so that we have time to work on report cards, but that only amounts to an extra 2 hours.  I think I average between 12-18 hours on report cards.  A lot of teachers don't like report cards.  A lot of students don't like report cards.  The great students like report cards, and they don't need them.  This year I got a tip from another teacher on a little program that helps you with comments. 

On the last day of the quarter, I not only figured out the new program, but I was also able to get all my comments done in about 3 1/2  hours.  Next quarter I think I can cut that time down even more.  It was a pretty exciting day.  This is the first time ever that I wasn't working on comments all weekend.  I was able to celebrate by going to the Monster Mash Dance.

No comments: