May 01, 2011

May Day

This is a holiday with a lot of potential, but maybe it just didn't translate into our modern times.  I don't remember ever finding flowers left on our doorstep, but once at school a class made paper baskets of flowers that they hung over the doorknobs of each classroom.  There was a cheery note, a bright bouquet, and a pleasant surprise.  It changed the mood that day.

Another time at school a group of second graders performed a May pole dance.  They had fastened wide ribbons to the top of the tether ball poles.  There was happy music, girls in full skirts, boys in button-up shirts, and as they wound in and out, the pole was braided with the ribbon.  I was very impressed. 

So today there were no bouquets delivered, and I'll probably never see another May pole dance performed, but after a very cold April, the sun came out and the sky was blue.  I celebrated by painting my toenails and wearing sandals for the first time this season.  Happy May Day!

No comments: