January 27, 2012

How Did This Happen?

It's Ty's birthday.  How can he be 20?  Ever since he was 12 he's been trying to be 2 or 3 years older.  When he was 14, he'd tell me he was practically 16.  When he was 15 and driving, he would tell me he was practically 18.  Now that he's not a teenager anymore, I think it's kind of freaking him out.  He's wondering how he got so old.  He's still anxious though.  He wants to spend a year kicking around South America with his friend, be finished with graduate school, play Frisbee in Korea, return to Nepal, help people, do nothing, make money, and be smart.  I want him to do all that too, but mostly, I just want him to slow down, enjoy, date a nice girl that's kind of like me, and take care of his spiritual self. 

This birthday though did find him slowing down - his knee is bothering him.  He is getting through some school.  He's playing Frisbee in Eugene which is closer to Korea than Boise, and even though he's not making money, I sent him some for his birthday.  He needed clothes so I folded the bills into little origami shirts and pants.  Hope he likes them.  They'll be late.

No comments: