January 21, 2013

MLK Weekend

It was our anniversary last Thursday, #15.  I always recommend getting married on a little holiday weekend - nothing big like Thanksgiving or even the Fourth of July, but something like Veterans Day or MLK Day.  You have your own little holiday, without big crowds at restaurants, or parties going on.  We put off our celebration until our weekend..

First, I had to plow through my report cards.  No matter how hard I try, I can never get it done early.  After putting in long days all week, I still had all my comments left for the weekend.  It was Early Release on Friday and I spent five hours chained to my computer, stress eating anything I could find, mostly popcorn and safety patrol candy.  By the time I got home, I didn't feel like going to dinner.

Saturday morning we got a text inviting us to see Hadley's little dance/gymnastic recital.  Our loud and crazy girl was suddenly shy.  She was really good at standing on her blue tape and sucking her fingers.  Then she changed out of ballet shoes and into tap shoes to stand on her taped spot again.  We did see one turn around before moving to gymnastics.  Still shy in the gym, but she did hang on the bars, walked on the balance beam, and collected her certificate.





After all the excitement we decided to celebrate with some KFC.  
   I spent the rest of the afternoon shopping and writing comments on report cards.  The KFC ruined our appetites for dinner that night.

One of my favorite people spoke in church.  It was a nice afternoon.  On Monday I went to brunch with a couple teacher friends.  It lasted four hours.  I finished my comments by 5:00. 

Even with the extra day on our little holiday, we still didn't get to celebrate our anniversary.

1 comment:

Pamela Hunter-Braden said...

This was my worst grading period in years regarding procrastination. I was grading math papers into the late nights and writing journals until the very last moment. Sorry, but misery really does love company. Thanks for making it sound normal! Dipping into the safety patrol candy was the best!!

I didn't even have time to answer emails or figure the blog out:(