January 30, 2013

Jury Duty

I've been called once before, but that week I only had to call in.  This time I had to go in.  I was jurist number 5, but when we walked into the court room, the defendant waved to me.  I had worked with him for 12 years at Jefferson.  He was accused of driving fast or recklessly with endangerment to another.  The first question the judge asked after we were sworn in was if any of us were related to or knew the defendant.  Two of us raised our hands.  The other school district employee didn't know him that well and thought he could still be fair.  I would like to think that I could judge fairly and have integrity, but I told the judge it would be hard.  I was excused.  They gave me a $3 coupon for lunch downstairs which ended up being half a turkey sandwich, and I drove out to Mom and Dad's for a nice afternoon visit.

No comments: