November 04, 2011

PTC

In the old days, moms came to Parent Teacher Conferences during the day on a Thursday or Friday.  Now, moms, and dads, and step parents, and grandparents, come mostly in the evenings.  Wednesday is brutal.  You might have a couple conferences before school, starting at 7:30, then teach all day, then start conferencing as soon as you can get the kids out the door.  You're usually there until after 8:00, with a 15 minute dinner break.  You can't even think straight at the end, and you start saying the same thing at every conference. 

Thursday morning usually fills up with stay-at-home moms, and there's always one or two parents that you have to schedule during their lunch break.  This year I didn't have any conferences from 1:20 til 4:20.  I tried to catch up some things on the computer and put up a bulletin board.  From 4:20 til 8:00 it was non-stop conferencing again. 

I like meeting and talking to parents.  I learn a lot and we figure out things together.  The parents at my school are very supportive and fun to get to know.  But the whole thing usually gives me a sore throat, and sometimes makes me sick.  Since we work Wednesday and Thursday night, we have Friday off.  We need it to recuperate.  I usually lay around all day.

No comments: