February 13, 2013

My First Wreck

I don't even want to write about this.  It was just a little wreck.  No one was hurt.  It happened on a pretty quiet street.  The police arrived in just a few minutes and everyone was nice.  If it was going to happen, it happened in a nice way, but I could have gone through life without that experience.

I caused the whole thing.  I was just around the corner from my house, on my way to work, and I looked down at a dead raccoon that was on the side of the road.  He was big, and his face was looking back at me.  When I looked up, traffic was backed up in front of me and I screeched to a stop, but didn't make it.  I hit the car in front of me, and she hit the car in front of her.  When we got out, the person in front of me was a teacher from my school!  When I called the office to let them know that I might be late, the secretary was shocked.  She said, "Weird, Emma was in an accident this morning too."  We both made it to school on time, but I was greeted all down the hall with comments and questions.  I thought I should have sent out an e-mail.

I was shaky, a little sick, and greatly embarrassed all day.  Even though it was just a minor fender-bender, it's going to add up to a big expense.  My car didn't look much worse than a bent license plate and a couple scrapes, but the estimate is $1,300.  I am grateful for the best insurance company on the planet - USAA.  (Thanks Dad, for being an officer in the military.)  Now I just have to deal with my fine for the inattentive driving ticket that I received. 

No comments: