July 19, 2016

Summer Catch-up

I couldn't believe it when I went into Fred Meyers over the 4th of July weekend and saw all the back to school supplies.  What happened to my summer!  Can't they wait until August to bring out the notebooks and binders?  I thought I better make an accounting of my summer and figure out what's been going on.  I only have one month left!

School was out on Thursday, June 2nd, and I always need a long weekend or even a week to do nothing except decompress.  There are days when I don't get out of my pajamas.  This year I needed beyond a week.  We sold our home and had to do all the fix-up and cleaning and moving before Memorial Day weekend.  I also went to Cascade for 4 days with 100 sixth graders, and finished my report cards.  Even the week after moving was exhausting.  I spent many days in June trying to do nothing.  Our apartment has cable, so I've sat around watching a lot of bad TV.  I'm hoping I can get it together by the end of July, but I might still be relaxing in August.

Week 1:  We had a two day workshop at school on writing across the curriculum.  It was really good, and they paid us $100 a day for going.  I'm going to use the things I learned.  We also got to know our new teammate, Patti.

Week 2:  I went to BSU for transcripts and found out I already have the credits I need to recertify next year.  Good news.  That little trip was the only real thing I did that day.  I also had to gear up for Terry's birthday and Father's Day.  I talked Terry into a new tablet (easy) and that meant he bought his own birthday/Father's Day gift.  We picked up a couple new shirts at Macys too.  I ended up with enough bonus bucks to buy a sweater on clearance and a bowl to go with my Fiesta Ware.  WinWin.

We had a Fathers Day barbecue at Jim and Nan's on Saturday.  Terry didn't come.  I gave him an out and he surprised me by taking it.  Nan's whole family was there.  Jim grilled perfect burgers and dogs.  All the food was delish.  I did veggies, dip, and marshmallow brownies. Marisa and Nash came.  They went on a long bike ride and everyone left before they got back. Tad and Kim came without any kids.  They were on 3 different continents again.  Dad loved it all. It was a beautiful day.

On the real Fathers Day we went back to our old ward to hear our friends report on their mission to Louisiana.  It was great seeing everyone.  We then went to Stacey and Mike's for a Father's Day FHE.  We had a Mexican dinner and a short lesson before Game 7 of the NBA Finals.  The kids wrote candy bar letters for their dads.  The dads chose a favorite scripture that they thought would be helpful in their lives.  Then we watched LeBron James and the Cavs come back from 3 games behind, on their opponents court, to win the championship! WooHoo!  Great day!

Week 3: I've completely lost this week.  I know I spent one day with Hads.  We painted a bright pink jewelry box and tried out the Soda Stop for lunch.  Grandpa also took us for frozen yogurt.  I don't remember anything else about this week or weekend.

Week 4: Nan and I drove Grandpa down to Brigham this week.  We spent 3 days with Fredee, visiting and relaxing in our hometown.  Fredee, Nan, and I did a session in the Brigham temple.  Fredee gave us a complete grand tour.  There were murals of the bird refugee and Sardine Canyon.  There are details of peach blossoms on the doorknobs.  It was beautiful.  The reason for the trip was to visit Aunt Carol and Uncle Frank.  They moved into an assisted living place in Salt Lake.  Dad wanted to see where they were living and how they were doing.  We had a great visit with them and my two cousins, and a great lunch at Little America.  We hit all the hot spots in Brigham - Box Elder High, Cherry Drive, Idle Isle, and of course, Maddox.  (We came back with Mike, and he and Dad had to stop at a truck stop in Jerome to buy an order of chicken gizzards.)

Week 5:  It was the 4th of July weekend, but we didn't celebrate.  It was a pretty quiet weekend.  We spent the night of the 4th with Terry's mom, and the next two days.  The last time we stayed with her was over Memorial Day weekend.  She was doing so well.  This week was much different.  She was having a hard time breathing and no energy.  Nancy got her in to the doctor on Thursday and tests were run.  By Friday they had her set up on oxygen, a hospital bed so she can sleep while sitting up, and some help from hospice.  The oxygen has really helped, but she has given up.  She's ready to pass on and meet up with her husband who's waiting for her.  She's comfortable, but doing her best to get out of this life.  She's had 93 good years.

Week 6:  Our 6th annual family camping trip was coming up.  Stacey and I planned things out and made assignments.  I did some cooking, made trips to the storage unit, collected camping gear, and spent a day with Maycee, I-guy, Joe, and Krystle.  We needed to tie-dye shirts for camping, but we also played at the park and went to McDonalds for lunch.

So Far:  I've been to lunch with friends a couple times, visited my Mom and Dad a couple times, tried a couple new recipes, and finished a couple books.  Not much else going on. 





No comments: